Next week our 3rd and 5th grade students will be participating in the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS). This is a test where we get to see just how well we do in Reading, Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies, compared with other 3rd and 5th graders in the Nation. I know we are really going to wow the world because some of the most dedicated and hard-working students in the Nation, are right here at J. H. House!
The following week, the 2nd and 5th graders will be taking the Cognitive Abilities Test (Cogat). This is a test that measures our ability (or, like I like to think of it ~ our brain power!!) Here again, since we have the smartest kids in the Universe, we are going to knock their socks off!!
So that we can really show the world how smart we are, here are a few tips to follow to ensure that we do the very best that we can do:
- Be sure to get a good night's sleep. Go to bed by 8:30 or 9:00 (at the very latest!) every night.
- Get a good breakfast. You should be doing this every day! Cars can't run without gas and you won't have enough energy to think without food.
- The morning of the test, tell yourself you are going to do your very best job.
- Listen and follow directions well.
- Read all questions and answers thoroughly before answering.
- If you get nervous, just take 3 deep breaths. It will clear your head and give you a burst of oxygen energy.
- Don't get worried if you get stuck. Just do your best and move on.
- Enjoy the testing experience. Afterall, it's a time to let them see just how smart you really are!